2018-2019 Catalog

About Texas Wesleyan University

Accreditation

Texas Wesleyan University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate, master's, and doctoral level degrees. Contact the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call (404) 679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Texas Wesleyan University.

Program accreditation includes:

American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business

Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education

Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education

Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs

National Association of Schools of Music

State Board for Educator Certification/Texas Education Agency

University Senate of the United Methodist Church

History

When the Rev. Milton Kroger Little drove a claim-stake into a barren 50-acre tract of land east of Fort Worth in 1890, even the most visionary supporter of the new college could not have imagined the university that would come into being. From that inauspicious beginning, Texas Wesleyan has successfully taught generations of leaders how to rise to a challenge and get a job done. They did it with class and compassion, an attitude earning the University a Texas-sized reputation that has only grown in recent years.

The Poly Years 1891-1914

When Polytechnic College of the Methodist Episcopal Church South opened its doors in September 1891, it boasted a 25-acre campus, a wooden dorm, an A-frame chapel and a brick classroom building to serve its 105 students and 11 faculty. It was among a growing number of colleges embracing a new way of thinking about education; adding training in commerce and industry to a classic education in the arts and letters, thus “poly,” or many. Students would receive practical training in business and professional life that would serve as a pipeline to the growing industrial base in Fort Worth, hence “technic.”

Texas Woman’s College 1914-1935

On May 13, 1914, trustees changed Poly to Texas Woman’s College. That September 317 girls and eight faculty members began classes on a campus with six buildings. During the 1920's, the tradition of robing, which commemorates the relationship between faculty and students through a ceremonial vesting of cap and gown, became a University tradition. The tradition remains to this day and is an example of Texas Wesleyan’s dedication to a small, personal educational atmosphere. Faced with dwindling resources during the Depression, trustees voted to close the school in 1931. However, a merger with the financially secure Texas Wesleyan Academy in Austin kept the doors open and created the new, co-educational institution of Texas Wesleyan College in 1934.

Texas Wesleyan College 1935-1989

In the fall of 1934, women returned to campus to find men attending classes. The men increased enrollment by 51 percent. The following March, trustees changed the name one more time, to Texas Wesleyan College, maintaining the initials TWC. The little college would bear the name proudly for 54 years. In addition to strong undergraduate programs, the University added graduate programs in education in the 1970s and nurse anesthesia and graduate business programs in the 1980s. The Council of Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia accredits the Graduate Programs of Nurse Anesthesia. The Master of Science in Nurse Anesthesia is the largest MSNA program in the U.S. Recognizing the growth in programs, trustees changed the name of the institution to Texas Wesleyan University, effective in January 1989.

Texas Wesleyan University 1989-Present

Texas Wesleyan has historically combined service to a residential population along with its strong commitment to a commuting and adult population. To add flexibility in the scheduling of courses and to recognize the special needs of adult learners, the University added the Weekend/Evening Program in 1994. The University established a campus in downtown Fort Worth in 1997 with the relocation of the Texas Wesleyan University School of Law, which was established in 1992 and fully accredited by the American Bar Association. In 2013, Texas Wesleyan University School of Law was acquired by Texas A&M University.

Texas Wesleyan continues to grow in the 21st century. The psychology department moved into its new home, the Nenetta Burton Carter Building in 2001, and a new building for the Graduate Programs of Nurse Anesthesia opened in 2003. A graduate program in counseling was added in 2004. In 2005, Texas Wesleyan opened its first apartment-style dormitory for students and completed renovations of the Polytechnic United Methodist Church. In 2007, the Ed and Rae Schollmaier Science and Technology Center opened as well as the Louella Baker-Martin Pavilion. In 2008, the historic Baker Building was renovated, and Texas Wesleyan established the Doctorate of Nurse Anesthesia Practice and, in 2009, the Doctor of Education. In 2010, the Claudia Stepp Scene shop opened for use by the theatre department, and the University unveiled the new Jack and Jo Willa Morton Fitness Center. A Doctor of Philosophy in Marriage and Family Therapy was established in 2014.

As a part of the 2020 Vision, the University completed the Rosedale Renaissance, the first major revitalization of East Fort Worth in several generations, in 2015. This multi-million-dollar project formed as a partnership with the City of Fort Worth, Tarrant County and the North Central Texas Council of Governments. It created a new front door to the University, renovated the historic Polytechnic Firehouse, created a new Community Counseling Center and revitalized East Rosedale. In addition, the project brought the United Methodist Church Central Texas Conference Service Center and the bishop’s offices to the Texas Wesleyan University campus.

Memberships

American Association of Colleges and Universities

American Association of Colleges of Nursing

American Association of Small Colleges and Schools of Business

American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education

American Library Association

Associated Collegiate Press

Association of American Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers

College Media Association

Council for Advancement and Support of Education

Council of the Colleges of Arts and Sciences

Council of Independent Colleges

Independent Colleges and Universities of Texas

International Association of Universities

Metroplex Area Consortium of Career Centers

Music Educators National Conference

NAFSA: Association of International Educators

National Association Intercollegiate Athletics

National Association of College Admission Counselors

National Association of College and University Business Officers

National Association of Colleges and Employers

National Association of Schools and Colleges of the United Methodist Church

National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators

National Career Development Association

National Collegiate Table Tennis Association

North Texas Commission

Sooner Athletic Conference

South Central Broadcasting Society

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools

Southwest Education Council for Journalism and Mass Communication

Texas Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers

Texas Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators

Texas Council of Arts in Education

Texas Counseling Association

Texas Educational Theatre Association

Texas Intercollegiate Press Association

Texas Library Association

Texas Music Educators Association

Texas United Methodist College Association

Texas Association for College Admission Counseling

Mission and Vision

Mission

Our mission at Texas Wesleyan University is to develop students to their full potential as individuals and as members of the world community.

Texas Wesleyan University, founded in 1890 in Fort Worth, is a United Methodist institution with a tradition in the liberal arts and sciences and a focus on professional and career preparation.

The University is committed to the principles that each student deserves personal attention and that all members of the academic community must have freedom to pursue independent thought and to exercise intellectual curiosity.

The University endeavors to create a learning environment where each student is provided an opportunity to pursue individual excellence, to think clearly and creatively, and to communicate effectively. The University also strives to develop a sense of civic responsibility and spiritual sensitivity, with a commitment to moral discrimination and action. Texas Wesleyan University strives to develop informed, responsible, and articulate citizens.

The University actively seeks and employs faculty and staff with commitment and dedication to teaching, inspiring, and serving students. Texas Wesleyan University recognizes its responsibility to the community by providing leadership and talent through programs that enable and enrich society.

Undergraduate and graduate programs are offered on campus and through distance education. Faculty scholarship informs teaching and advances knowledge and understanding.

Vision

Texas Wesleyan University aspires to be a values and student-centered university where motivated students prepare for graduate school and leadership in professional careers.

This vision is premised upon the understanding that professional employers seek individuals who have attained the essential skills of critical thinking, analytical reasoning and creative problem solving.

Texas Wesleyan believes the best way for undergraduate students to learn these skills is in a liberal arts setting through intentionally small classes led by gifted faculty who are committed to student success.

This vision also recognizes that most students will need graduate professional degrees to further their careers and that these same skills are required for admission to and successful completion of graduate professional programs.

Realizing that most students will enter the workforce before returning to graduate school, Texas Wesleyan University will maintain graduate professional programs of high quality in formats that are accessible to working adults. These programs will focus on deepening and broadening critical thinking, analytical reasoning and creative problem solving skills in the context of professional content.

Organization

The governance of the University is vested in a Board of Trustees, as provided in its 1890 charter. The board delegates to an executive committee the authority to conduct the business of the University.

The board meets in regular session three times a year and at other times as needed. The board elects the President, manages the property of the corporation, and determines general policy. The organizational structure of the University fosters a student-centered approach to learning. Reporting to the President are the Provost and Senior Vice President with the responsibility for all academic matters, institutional research, and sponsored programs; the Vice President of Finance and Administration with responsibility for finance and budget, administrative services, financial aid, information technology, and human resources; the Vice President for University Advancement with responsibility for development and alumni affairs; the Vice President for Enrollment, Marketing and Communications with responsibilities for enrollment and designing and coordinating University marketing and communication to both internal and external markets; the Vice President of Student Affairs and Dean of Students with responsibilities for student engagement, student services and security; the Chief of Staff/General Counsel with responsibilities for managing the President’s office and staff, advising and assisting the President, and representing the University in all legal matters, also serving as a liaison with the board of trustees, faculty, staff, and external constituencies; the University resident chaplain; and the Athletic Director with responsibility to manage the operations of the athletic department and administer intercollegiate athletics.

The academic schools and programs reporting to the Provost include the Schools of Arts and Letters, Business Administration, Education, Health Professions, and Natural and Social Sciences led by the dean of each respective school.

Members of the Board of Trustees, principal administrative officers, administrative staff and faculty are listed in the back of this catalog.

Special University Programs

The Willson Lectures

The annual Willson Lectures at Texas Wesleyan University are made possible by a gift from the late Mavis Terry Willson and the late J.M. Willson of Floydada, Texas.

In 1946 the Willsons provided an endowment to bring outstanding speakers to the campus. Through the years, these speakers have delivered messages that have challenged and inspired thousands of Texas Wesleyan University students and faculty members.

Endowed Professorships

The Bebensee University Scholar Professorship was created in 1996 through a bequest from the Leo Robert Bebensee Estate to honor Mr. Bebensee as a life-long educator. The Bebensee University Scholar is an individual with the potential to set a model for good University teaching and research and to foster those attributes in her/his colleagues.

The McCann University Professorship was established in 1996 through a bequest from the Ralph and Sue McCann Trust. The McCann University Professorship is designed to celebrate faculty strength by allowing for enhanced professional development.

The A.M. Pate History Professorships were established in 2012 through a bequest from the estate of A.M. Pate. The Professorships will honor Mr. Pate’s’ love of history and teacher-scholars dedicated to teaching history.

Robing and Hooding Convocation

From the time this institution was founded in 1890, a strong bond has united members of the faculty with members of the student body. This close relationship has developed because of the desire of the faculty to teach more than the subject matter and because Texas Wesleyan University students have wanted to learn and understand the beliefs, philosophies, and attitudes of the instructors and professors. Throughout the more than 100 years of the University’s history, it has been recognized that if the student is to receive an education and if the faculty is to maintain an appropriate perspective on that process, this relationship must exist.

The Robing Ceremony, an academic convocation that had its beginning in 1927, expresses this warm and interdependent relationship between faculty and student. By asking a faculty member to vest her or him, the graduate acknowledges the importance of this crucial interpersonal process. The Hooding Convocation, a companion ceremony for graduate students, is also held previous to commencement. These ceremonies have made significant contributions to the rich heritage of the University and are a vital part of the concluding activities of the student’s educational career.

Graduate students eligible for graduation and participation in the Hooding Convocation may select a graduate faculty member who has been meaningful to them for vesting of the Hood at the Hooding Convocation preceding the graduation program. Persons to vest the student must be eligible to wear academic regalia. Persons eligible include all graduate faculty, full or part-time, and staff who hold faculty rank.

Graduation Ceremony

A graduation or “commencement” ceremony is held at the end of the spring and fall semesters to honor those students who have completed the graduation requirements for their degree. During the graduation ceremony, specific mention is made of special honors. There is no graduation ceremony at the end of the summer. For exceptions to the graduation policy, students should refer to the section titled “Participation in the Graduation Ceremony/Walking Guidelines” in the “Graduation (Degree) Requirements” section of this catalog.

Alumni Association

Membership in the Alumni Association is extended to all graduates and former students of the University. The association promotes the welfare of the University and its alumni and encourages continued alumni involvement through special events, volunteer opportunities, reunion programming and philanthropic initiatives.

The alumni association is invested in the success of the University’s students and provides student programs including the Graduation Gift program, the alumni scholarship program, TAG (Thanking All Givers) Day and Commencement pinning.

The Alumni Office is located in the Oneal-Sells Administration Building and has an open door policy to all alumni and future alumni.

Scholarship Funds

Texas Wesleyan University awards scholarships to students for academic excellence, talent, and special skills or needs. Recognizing outstanding performance is one of the highlights of our educational community. Students interested in receiving information on scholarship awards should refer to the “Financial Aid” section in this catalog.

The University graciously accepts contributions toward scholarship resources. Donors may make gifts to underwrite the University's annual scholarship budget. In addition, donors may make gifts to establish named endowed scholarship funds. These funds are invested by the University so the resources may grow and provide ongoing income for scholarship awards.

There are many ways to make gifts for scholarship purposes. Often gifts of property and stock may be used to establish endowed funds and can have tax advantages for the donor. To discuss opportunities for giving or ask questions about the scholarship funds at Texas Wesleyan University, please call the Office of Advancement at (817) 531-4404.

Fine Arts Events

The Music and Theatre Arts departments and Fine Arts faculty provide a variety of visual and performing arts events for the campus and external community, including interesting theatre and musical theatre productions, musical concerts and recitals, and art exhibitions. A professional, experienced faculty of performing and visual artists supports student growth in a creative, energetic and collaborative context. The result is an artistic season of integrity celebrating the cultural life of the University and community, all within the context of a liberal arts program.

The Campus

Admin bldg and students

Texas Wesleyan University’s campus is located in east Fort Worth. The campus includes more than 83 acres four miles southeast of downtown and is located on one of the highest points in the city. The heritage of Texas Wesleyan is reflected in some of the historic buildings with Georgian style columns, while progress is seen in the contemporary design of the newer buildings.

This mixture of old and new is reflected in all aspects of Texas Wesleyan University's life where new and innovative ideas complement more than a century of traditions. As a part of the Texas Wesleyan’s 2020 vision, the University is completing major upgrades throughout the campus.

James C. Armstrong & Elizabeth Means Armstrong Hall (1957) is a residence hall for 144 students and includes a guest room, a large living room, a recreational area, kitchen, and laundry facilities. It was a gift of the late Elizabeth Means Armstrong (1898-1993), an alumna, a trustee, and principal philanthropist of the University. It was renovated and modernized in 2014 thanks to a generous donation from James C. Armstrong and his children.

Armstrong Mabee Business Building (1957) houses the offices, classrooms, and computer laboratories for the School of Business Administration and Professional Programs, Graduate Studies in Business, and the Weekend/Evening Program. This building was originally named for Judge George W. Armstrong. It was renamed in 1989 to acknowledge the contribution of the J.E. and L.E. Mabee Foundation that provided matching funds for remodeling.

Maxine and Edward L. Baker Building (c. 1927) is named to honor the Bakers and the Baker Family. Dedicated on November 21, 2008, it recognizes Edward L. Baker who served as Chairman of the Board from 1955 to 1969. Maxine Baker received an honorary doctorate degree from the University in 1979. The building houses a community center/reception hall, and the West Express Eatery.

Baker-Martin House (1928, moved to campus in 1996) houses the Office of Admissions. Originally located in the Riverside area of Fort Worth, it was moved to the campus in 1996. James B. Baker built the Georgian-style home across the street from his business, Baker Brothers Nursery, one of the first nursery and landscaping operations in North Texas. The Baker family has a long history of involvement with Texas Wesleyan University. J.B. Baker served on the Board of Trustees of Polytechnic College from 1895-1913. His son, Edward L. Baker, Sr., served on the Texas Wesleyan College Board of Trustees as a member, Chairman of the Executive Committee, and Chairman of the Board from 1945 until his death November 29, 1969. Edward Baker's daughter, Louella Baker Martin, is a trustee of the University. Because of her great affection and memories of the Baker-Martin home and the long-standing relationship of the family with Texas Wesleyan University, Mrs. Martin donated the home to the University.

Louella Baker-Martin Pavilion (2007) is a 3,500 square-foot banquet facility located adjacent to the Baker-Martin House.

Brown-Lupton Campus Center (1981) contains lounge areas, a vending area, and the Carter Conference Meeting room. Housed in this building are the Dean of Students, the Athletic Director, Student Engagement Offices, Athletic Weight Room and the Student Government Association. The Athletic Department and coaches' offices are located on the second floor. The Campus Center offers a variety of activities and is open at hours designed to serve a diverse student population. It was built through gifts from the T.J. Brown and C.A. Lupton Foundation, Inc., the Amon G. Carter Foundation, and the L.E. and J.E. Mabee Foundation, Inc.

Nenetta Burton Carter Building (2001) houses the Department of Psychology. The building was made possible by the Amon G. Carter Foundation.

Community Counseling Center (2015) serves the Texas Wesleyan University campus and the surrounding community with clinical services provided by master-level counseling students from the Graduate Counseling department. The Center also houses classrooms, training facilities, and faculty offices for the Graduate Counseling department.

Glick House (1925) houses Career Services and Mass Communication offices. It was the home of Dr. and Mrs. Walter R. Glick. Their home was a gift to the University from Mrs. Walter R. Glick. From 1936 until 1960, the late Dr. Walter R. Glick was vice president and professor of history at Texas Wesleyan College.

The Language Company Complex contains various classroom buildings. The complex includes the Boyd House (c. 1893) identified as the oldest structure in Polytechnic Heights and designated as a City of Fort Worth Historic Landmark in 1996. The three buildings were renovated and modernized in 2015.

Graduate Programs of Nurse Anesthesia Building (2003) houses the Graduate Programs of Nurse Anesthesia. In addition to GPNA faculty and staff offices, it contains a lecture hall that seats 180 students and two smaller classrooms.

Ella C. McFadden Science Center (1967) houses the Science Lecture Theatre, offices, classrooms, and laboratories for the sciences. It was named for the late Ella C. McFadden of Fort Worth, a benefactress of the University.

Jack and Jo Willa Morton Fitness Center (2010) is a 9,900 square foot facility open to faculty, staff, students, and alumni. It features rooms for cardio, weights and aerobics as well as locker rooms, offices and a conference room.

Oneal-Sells Administration Building (1902, renovated in 1963 and again in 1980) is a three-story stone building located in the center of the campus which houses administrative offices, the University Board Room and the Annie Norton Room. Originally named for Murray Case Sells, it was renamed to include the benefactress who provided for the remodeling in 1980, the late Cora Maud Oneal, a former trustee of the University. The building was designated as a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1966.

Poly United Methodist Church (2003) contains a sanctuary, chapel, the Betty and Bobby Bragan Fellowship Hall, classrooms, and offices. Offices include the Dean of Arts and Letters, the University Chaplain, Rambler Media Group and faculty. The building was originally constructed in 1950.

Sid W. Richardson Center (1970) is a two-story building housing a gymnasium that seats 1,800 for indoor athletic events. It houses a 25meter indoor swimming pool and provides facilities for an extensive program in health and physical education. In the summer of 2000, a portion of the facility was remodeled to house the new allied health center. The building was named in honor of the late Sid W. Richardson of Fort Worth.

Dora Roberts Dining Hall (1957, renovated in 1981 and 2014) is the campus-dining center with facilities for banquets and meetings. It was a gift of Dora Roberts of Big Spring, Texas.

Stella Russell Hall (1967) is a co-ed residence hall for 150 students and includes a large living room, a guest room, study facilities, recreational and laundry rooms, and a sun deck. It was named for Stella Russell of Houston. The landscaping and interior common spaces and restrooms were modernized in 2015.

Ed and Rae Schollmaier Science and Technology Center (2007) is a 7,000 square-foot building housing technology intensive classrooms and faculty offices. Technology includes bioinformatics.

Law Sone Fine Arts Center is housed in the former Polytechnic Baptist Church (1947). Purchased by the University in 1989, the building has been remodeled to include performance and rehearsal facilities. The center houses the Thad Smotherman Theatre. The center is named in honor of the late Dr. Law Sone, president of the University from 1935-1968.

Claudia Stepp Scene Shop (2010) is used by the theatre department for construction of sets and includes classroom areas for carpentry, metal fabrication, and lighting.

Bernice Coulter Templeton Art Studio (2015) is located in the historic Polytechnic Firehouse. Built in 1914, it houses classrooms that allow students to explore and create works of art.

Ann Waggoner Fine Arts Building (1908, enlarged in 1923, remodeled in 2002) includes teaching studios, rehearsal rooms, offices, an electronic piano laboratory, and the Fine Arts Auditorium, which includes Martin Hall.

Dan Waggoner Hall (1917, remodeled in 1999, 2003) houses the School of Education. A gift of Ann Waggoner in honor of her husband, it was restored through a gift from the Amon G. Carter Foundation.

Dan Waggoner Hall Annex (formerly part of the Polytechnic Baptist Church) was purchased by the University in 1989 and houses classrooms, faculty offices and the Office of International Programs. The interior of the building was modernized in 2015.

West Village (2005) is a 236-bed apartment style housing facility located at the corner of Wesleyan St. and Vickery Blvd. The three-story building has a combination of one-bedroom efficiencies and four-bedroom apartments. The Residential Life Department is located at The Clubhouse in the complex, and a Health Center for students is also located on the premises.

Eunice and James L. West Library (1988) is an 84,400 square-foot building housing the University library and special collections, Technology Enabled Study (TES) rooms, classrooms, Information Technology and Media Services, Marketing and Communications, Center of Excellence in Teaching and Learning, the Academic Advising Center, the Academic Success Center and Developmental Programs. The library is named for its donors, Eunice and James L. West of Fort Worth.

Alma Mater

Hail to thee dear Texas Wesleyan,

from the heart I give my praise.

In the paths of high endeavor,

fame and fortune crown your days.

Streaming forth a line of splendor,

stalwart sons and daughters fair,

Living testimony render,

to the worthy name you bear.

~J.C. Denney